- The time to start quitting is now! (8/17/2017) - By: Dr. Ralph Strauss, Strauss Allergy & Asthma (Commack & Westbury, NY) The time to start quitting is now! Cigarette smoking is the leading preventable cause of death in the U.S.A. Half of people who smoke will die from it. What if I am not ready to quit yet? Smoking is a potentially fatal disease- ... Read More!
- 2017 Solar Eclipse: How to enjoy while keeping your family safe (8/15/2017) - By: Dr. Eric Levene, Chester Pediatrics (Whiteplains, NY) The Solar eclipse, August 21, is a rare occurrence in the continental United States. Use this opportunity to stimulate your child’s interest in science while creating a bonding experience you will talk about for years. Just make sure to take the proper safety precautions (described below) to ... Read More!
- World Breastfeeding Week (7/31/2017) - By: Dr. Lauren G. Macaluso, Breastfeeding Medicine (New Hyde Park, NY) Happy World Breastfeeding Week! This is the 25th World Breastfeeding Week coordinated by WABA, the World Alliance of Breastfeeding Action. WABA is a global network of individuals and organizations concerned with the protection, prevention and support of breastfeeding worldwide. Each year World Breastfeeding Week ... Read More!
- Herpes and your baby (7/20/2017) - By: Dr. Karen Lidoshore- Fuld, Pediatric Health Associates (Plainview, NY) Many of you have seen or heard about the recent death of an 18 day old baby girl following infection with Herpes Simplex Virus from a kiss. It is important for us to remember that this type of transmission to a newborn and extent of ... Read More!
- Meningitis: What Parents Need To Know (7/14/2017) - The Pennsylvania Department of Health confirmed a camper at an overnight camp passed away from a Neisseria Meningitidis infection. The Health Department is directly involved and has contacted anyone who should receive prophylactic antibiotic due to increased risk from direct contact. The Health Department is very involved and we recommend following their recommendation. The incubation period ... Read More!
- Summer is here and it’s time to go swimming (6/23/2017) - Summer is here and it’s time to go swimming. Recently there have been multiple news reports of children dying days to weeks after swimming with seemingly no symptoms and their death is attributed to “dry drowning”. Unfortunately most of these reports contain significant amounts of misinformation and have caused unnecessary concern and confusion. In order ... Read More!
- Ticks and Lyme: What you need to know for your kids (6/8/2017) - Ticks and Lyme: What you need to know for your kids By: Jennifer Shaer, M.D., Eric Levene, M.D., Kerry Fierstein, M.D. There has been a lot in the news recently about ticks and tick-borne infections, particularly Lyme disease. The CDC has warned that this summer ticks will be at an all time high. So what can ... Read More!
- 13 Ways to Combat Teen Depression (5/15/2017) - The Netflix series 13 Reasons Why, based on a book of the same title, has brought the topic of teen suicide front and center. You may not know about the show, but your teen likely does. While many parents, educators and health professionals have concerns about the show’s graphic nature and portrayal of suicide, teenage ... Read More!
- The Vaccine Imperative (5/15/2017) - This week’s story of a boy on Long Island with bacterial meningitis who required ICU care brought out raw emotions in all of us. We can’t help but empathize with the family, and think “what if this was my child?” The important take-away message is that certain infections are very serious and prevention is the best ... Read More!