By: Dr. Raphael Strauss and Dr. Robyn Kreiner (Strauss Allergy & Asthma, Commack & Woodbury, NY)
WARNING REGARDING EPIPEN DEVICE MALFUNCTION
The FDA is alerting patients, caregivers, and health care professionals that EpiPen 0.3 mg and EpiPen Jr 0.15 mg auto-injectors, and the authorized generic versions, may potentially have delayed injection or be prevented from properly injecting due to:
1. Device failure from spontaneous activation caused by using sideways force to remove the blue safety release.
2. Device failure from inadvertent or spontaneous activation due to a raised blue safety release.
3. Difficulty removing the device from the carrier tube.
4. User errors.
Check to see if your device slides easily out of the container and the blue cap is firmly in place and not raised. Please check the link for further information:
Proper use: When using your auto-injector: REMEMBER “BLUE SKY ORANGE THIGH”
1. Hold it in your fist with the ORANGE END POINTING DOWN.
2. Pull the BLUE CAP straight up to remove the top and do not force it sideways. Verify the injectors slide easily out of the storage case and verify the BLUE safety release is not raised.
3. During the pandemic, we recommend FOR SYMPTOMS OF ANAPHYLAXIS: GIVE EPI, OBSERVE IN PLACE, MONITOR IF STABLE AND IMPROVING; DO NOT CALL 911 immediately.
If there is a problem with your EpiPen or generic equivalent auto-injector please contact your doctor as alternatives are available. It is vital to have your lifesaving product work as designed in an emergency situation. Please take a minute to make sure your injector does not have this malfunction If you are unsure how to use your emergency medication or have other concerns, this a great time to schedule a telehealth visit to review your allergies and emergency action plan!
Please visit our website www.straussallergyasthma.com and follow us on Facebook for further information.
Allied Physicians Group is a partnership of more than 150 dedicated, caring physicians and 350 highly trained support staff. Allied serves over 180,000 patients with offices throughout Greater New York City, Long Island, the Hudson Valley, and beyond. Founded in 2006, Allied Physicians Group is a recognized leader in increasing healthcare efficiencies and patient satisfaction, emphasizing support, innovation, and collaboration. If you are looking for a Pediatrician near you click here or for more information please visit https://alliedphysiciansgroup.com/.