Eating food to fuel our bodies is similar to filling up the gas tank of a car – our bodies need food (which provides calories from carbohydrates, protein, fats, as well as, vitamins and minerals) just like cars need gasoline! Gas enables a car to function and drive all day long, whereas, healthy food gives our bodies the nutrients it needs for us to do SO many things.
Here are just a few things that food does for our bodies:
- Gives us energy for exercise, sports, and schoolwork.
- Helps us grow tall.
- Ensures that all our organs work properly: helps digestion, keeps us breathing, keeps our heart beating, and helps brain function.
- Keeps our bones strong.
- Boosts our immune system so we stay healthy and can fight illness.
Now, let’s think about what happens to a car when you don't fill it up with gas? It stops running, right? What do you think would happen if you didn't eat?
Here are just a few dangerous things that can happen to our bodies if we do not eat healthy, or don’t eat enough:
- We would feel tired, cranky, or depressed.
- We could stunt our growth or get weak bones.
- We could get develop nutrient deficiencies: develop anemia or hair loss.
- We could slow down our calorie-burning abilities!
- Our organs wouldn’t work properly and our heartbeat can slow down.
Additionally, eating cookies and crackers all day will not give our bodies the nutrients it needs to work properly. What you eat is just as important as how much! Healthy food choices include:
Have you ever had these discussions with your kiddos? Does your child know what they put into their body?
At Allied, we start discussions with children, as young as four years old, to help them learn about fueling their bodies. If you need help in having these discussions with your children, reach out and schedule a nutrition education visit. It is never too early to learn how food can keep us healthy and strong!
Allied Physicians Group is a partnership of more than 150 dedicated, caring physicians and 350 highly trained support staff. Allied serves over 180,000 patients with offices throughout Greater New York City, Long Island, the Hudson Valley, and beyond. Founded in 2006, Allied Physicians Group is a recognized leader in increasing healthcare efficiencies and patient satisfaction, emphasizing support, innovation, and collaboration. If you are looking for a Pediatrician near you click here or for more information please visit https://alliedphysiciansgroup.com/.