Fall is the peak season for asthma in the Northeast. If you or your child is prone to cough, wheeze, or have bronchitis or asthma exacerbations in the Fall and Winter months, now is the time for a tune –up.
- Use of preventative asthma medications during this time of year is very effective. These are called controllers and usually contain an inhaled form of low dose steroid. These medications have been used in children for 50 years and have been shown to be safe and effective in reducing asthma episodes.
- People spend more time indoors, turn on heat and close windows. Dust mite populations, mold and pet dander exposure increase resulting in more respiratory symptoms.
- Try to keep your bedroom an allergy-free zone. Reduce clutter, stuffed animals, enclose bedding in zip – tight dust mite proof enclosures
- If you smoke, now is the time to try a new method to quit. Second hand smoke/vaping exposure will increase asthma and allergy symptoms. Put on a nicotine patch today! Come in for a visit with our doctors to discuss smoking cessation.
- Visit your doctor to go over your treatment plan. Make sure you and your child are taking the right medicine. Know what to do when asthma symptoms flare so you can avoid an urgent care or emergency room visit.
- Have medication available.
- Have the Allied telehealth app available on your phone.
- Get your entire family vaccinated for the flu. Keep this disease out of your home.
- On Halloween, for food allergic kids, make sure they know not to eat any candy before it is screened and inspected- if it is not labelled for allergens, throw it out!
- Put out a Teal Pumpkin to show that you have some nonfood treats such as stickers, and small toys for trick or treaters with food allergies. Let’s all enjoy a safe and fun Fall!
Allied Physicians Group is a partnership of more than 150 dedicated, caring physicians and 350 highly trained support staff. Allied serves over 180,000 patients with offices throughout Greater New York City, Long Island, the Hudson Valley, and beyond. Founded in 2006, Allied Physicians Group is a recognized leader in increasing healthcare efficiencies and patient satisfaction, emphasizing support, innovation, and collaboration. If you are looking for a Pediatrician near you click here or for more information please visit https://alliedphysiciansgroup.com/.